Three Weeks to Go


I decided to create a new blog just for Africa. We leave for NYC on Sept 11 and then for Johannesburg on Sept 17. We are going on a National Geographic Expedition since it seemed to hit most spots on my wish list.
Our itinerary is:
Sep 18 and 19 - Mala Mala Main Camp
Sep 20, 21, 22 - Mashatu Main Camp - Botswana
Sep 23 and 24 - Xakanaxa Camp - Botswana
Sep 25 and 26 - Royal Livingston Hotel and Victoria Falls Livingston, Zambia
Sep 27 - Fly to Johannesburg and back to NYC

One of the spots I am very anxious to see is Pete's Pond, the site of the Nat Geo web cam that I have been watching since its inception. This is at Mashatu Game Reserve.

On our final night we have a special farewell dinner on the Royal Livingston Express which looks quite wonderful.

Some of our preparation challenges: getting a double Zambia visa, hepatitis B shots, series of typhoid pills (the malaria pills will begin right before we leave), finding a duffle bag that measures no larger than 27x14x12" and will weigh no more than 26 pounds when loaded, buying a new camera with a zoom lens - Nikon P90, finding all sorts of travel size items so as not to weigh too much or take up too much space.

I have been watching wildearth.tv for the past 3 months now. This is a web site that goes on safari with a web cam twice a day. It is less than 10 miles from Mala Mala, so it is a wonderful preview.

This trip has been #1 on my bucket list for years, and I am so excited it is so near!

1 comment:

  1. Aaaah, webcams - that's my idea of a relaxing vacation!!!!! I admire your patience, determination and excitement about leaving the country for a vacation!

    ReplyDelete